Energy production and consumption statistics are provided total and by fuel and provide an analysis of the last 3 months of data compared to the same period last year. Energy price statistics include domestic price indices, prices for road fuels and petroleum products, and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
The highlights for the 3-month period August 2021 to October 2021 compared to the same period last year include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK based on fuel usage increased 2.3%, with petroleum consumption increasing every month from April 2021 compared to 2020 as lockdown restrictions were relaxed. On a temperature-adjusted basis, consumption increased by 4.6%. (Table ET 1.2) and (Table ET 3.13)
- Domestic energy production decreased 2.8%, but UKCS production returned to more normal levels after maintenance, while renewable energy production remained low due to less favorable weather conditions. (Table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by the major electricity producers decreased 6.7%, with coal increasing sharply in the last 3 months but gas increasing 10% in the last 3 months, while nuclear power by 9.0% due to outages and renewables by 5% .3% decreased due to less favorable weather conditions (mainly wind). * (Table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 43.4% of the electricity generated by the major electricity producers, renewable energies 36.1%, nuclear energy 17.5% and coal 2.0%. * (Table ET 5.4)
- The low-carbon share of electricity generated by large electricity producers remained unchanged at 53.5%, while the share of fossil fuels in electricity generation was 45.8%. * (Table ET 5.4)
* Data on the main electricity producers (MPPs) are published monthly, data on all generating companies are published quarterly.
Highlights for December 2021 compared to November 2021:
- Gasoline prices drop 0.3 pence per liter while diesel prices decrease 0.6 pence per liter. (Table QEP 4.1.1)
Warren Evans, Chief Statistician, Tel 0300 068 5059
Press inquiries, Tel 020 7215 1000
Data periods and coverage
The monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy statistics include data for the United Kingdom for the period up to the end of October 2021.
Average temperature, wind speed, hours of sunshine and precipitation statistics include data for the UK for the period ending November 2021.
Energy price statistics include retail price data for the UK for November 2021 and gasoline and diesel data for December 2021 with EU comparison data for November 2021.
The next publication of the preliminary monthly energy statistics will take place on Thursday, January 27, 2022.
To access the data tables associated with this publication, please click on the relevant subject link (s) below. For further information, please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always take you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables, please contact BEIS ([email protected])
|Subject and table number||Energy generation and consumption as well as weather data|
|Total energy||Contact: Energy Statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5041|
|AND 1.1||Domestic production of primary fuels|
|AND 1,2||Domestic energy consumption: basis of primary fuel use|
|money||Contact: Coal Statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050|
|AND 2.5||Coal mining and foreign trade|
|AND 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|oil||Contact: Oil Statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5101|
|AND 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery revenues, imports and exports|
|AND 3.11||Petroleum stocks|
|AND 3.12||Refinery throughput and petroleum product output|
|AND 3.13||Deliveries of mineral oil products for domestic consumption|
|gas||Contact: Gas Statistics, Tel: 0207 215 2942|
|AND 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|AND 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|AND 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|electricity||Contact: Electricity Statistics, Tel: 0207 215 2995|
|AND 5.3||Fuel used in the production of electricity by large producers|
|AND 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply network|
|AND 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|weather||Contact: Energy Statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5041|
|AND 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long-term mean|
|AND 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long-term mean|
|AND 7.3||Average daily hours of sunshine and deviations from the long-term mean|
|AND 7.4||Average monthly precipitation and deviations from the long-term mean|